October 27, 2014
FLO Cycling - Smelling Good Naturally - An Interview with Joshua Traboulsee from The Best Deodorant in the World
As athletes we spend a lot of time looking after our bodies. We put a lot of time into training programs, diet, coaching advice, and bike fits. Oftentimes, athletes are so caught up on those aspects of the sport that they don't really think about what goes on their bodies.
A few years ago a good friend from university (that's college in Canadian) called to tell us about a health scare he had. Joshua said he had found two large masses in his upper chest near his armpit. While doctors wanted to operate, no one knew if it would fix the problem. Joshua and his wife Margaux took matters into their own hands. They evaluated all of the products they used and the foods they ate, and decided to rid their life of toxins. With the issue being so close to Joshua's armpit, they wanted a deodorant that was free of toxins. Finding a good solution was a real challenge and it led Margaux to create her own deodorant for Joshua. Now several years later they have an amazing product and a company that is growing like crazy.
I invite you to read the interview below to learn more about what you are potentially putting on your body and how it may affect you. I've been using the product now for some time and love it.
On to the interview.
FLO: Why is your deodorant the “Best Deodorant in the World”?
Joshua: Funny thing is, we didn't name it. Before we were ever a company, our fans began calling it that and it kinda stuck when we became a company. Since then, we have yet to encounter any other all natural, 100% organic, certified toxin-free deodorant that can compare. We're always looking to improve so we constantly test other products to make sure we truly are the best.
FLO: How does your deodorant make a difference in my life?
Joshua: Using a natural deodorant isn't going to make a difference in anyone's life. The only thing that can actually make a difference is making the conscious decision to start eliminating junk from our diets and life. Using a natural deodorant is only one part of the equation.
However, I should share why we created this in the first place. About five years ago I developed two large lumps in my upper right chest near my armpit. Every doctor we saw just wanted to operate and cut them out. I was not really a fan of that so we used this as a sign to clean up our lives. We started eliminated all the toxins from our life: food, personal care, cleaning products. Only problem was finding a natural alternative for my Old Spice that would work. So my beautiful wife Margaux did what any loving wife would do, and started formulating in our kitchen. It took two years to come up with a perfect blend.
FLO: What ingredients are in the deodorant?
Joshua: Even natural ingredients can be dirty or tainted with GMOs, so we've spent a lot of time building relationships with people around the world so that we can ethically source 100% certified organic ingredients.
Here is why our product stands out:
- 100% organic product
- 100% vegan product
- Certified toxin-free
- Certified do-no-harm
- Certified non-GMO
- Ethically sourced and harvested
- Fair trade product
- Certified cruelty-free
Ok, so what do we have in this? All of our ingredients are either fair trade or ethically sourced.
- Certified organic extra virgin coconut oil
- Certified organic extra virgin unrefined shea nut butter
- Certified organic candelilla wax
- Certified organic unrefined cocoa nut butter
- Certified organic bentonite clay
- Certified organic arrowroot powder
- Certified organic pure hemp oil
- Certified organic apricot oil
- Certified organic pure essential oils
- Aluminum-free baking soda
- Magnesium hydroxide
- Activated coconut charcoal
- Love and passion
FLO: What do the ingredients in traditional deodorants do to my body?
Joshua: Deodorant is one of those things that most North Americans use every single day and yet, the vast majority of us are still unaware of the hidden dangers in these off-the-shelf deodorants. The worst part is that we continue to use these potentially dangerous chemicals on our underarms to reduce sweat and odor. I could go on for a long time about this so I will share what I feel are the five most important deodorant toxins to avoid.
- The FIRST toxic ingredient that we should all be avoiding in antiperspirants and deodorant is aluminum. This metal is used to help block the sweat from escaping the pores of our body. First of all, there is nothing wrong with sweating, just smelling. So maybe try to avoid antiperspirants in the first place. So just how bad is aluminum for us? Well, It has been linked to Alzheimer’s disease and breast cancer in women. There have been several studies conducted that show a link between increasing antiperspirant use and the raising rate of female breast cancer and even prostate cancer in men. The craziest part is the FDA has not even committed to labeling aluminum a “carcinogen” yet. Apparently there have not been enough studies.
- The second toxin we all should be aware of is are little things called parabens. These sneaky little synthetic preservatives are found in deodorant as well as many body care products. The scary part about these little toxins is that the CDC recently performed a urine test of 100 random people and discovered that all 100 people had been contaminated with parabens. Remember, these were people rubbing things on their skin, not ingesting the product. It shows us just how quickly these things enter our system and begin causing damage. The damage parabens cause can disrupt our hormone balance which leads to children hitting puberty at a much younger age plus it increases the risk of hormonal cancers. Also, parabens have been linked to birth defects and organ toxicity.
- The third toxin to watch for is propylene glycol. This bad boy is a petroleum-based material that is used to soften cosmetic products. It is a product of choice because it is so cheap to obtain. Honestly, how bad can propylene glycol be? Well it has been shown to cause damage to our central nervous system, heart and liver. To scare you even more, this nasty chemical can be found in a ton of the food we eat, so beware of what you put in your mouth.
- A fourth ingredient that is used in cosmetics, fragrances, plastics (toys and such included), body care products, medical stuff, and of course deodorant is phthalates. These nasty little toxins are typically used to dissolve other ingredients to make a better consistency. They have been linked to some pretty serious health issues in men, women, and children! You know, things like birth defects. Also they will create cell mutation and disrupt our hormone receptors.
- Number five. How do most of these off-the-shelf deodorants kill odor so well? With this pesticide (yes this is actually classified as a pesticide by the FDA) called triclosan. You can find this dirty bird in everything from deodorant to antiperspirants to soaps to hand wipes, and the list goes on. Oh yes, you should also know that this is also classified a carcinogen by the Environmental Protection Agency. We’re finally seeing some companies remove this, but not near enough. That should shed some light into why it is so important to use a natural deodorant on your body.
FLO: For athletes is this stuff going to last? I don’t want to stink eight hours into an Ironman.
Joshua: Going natural comes with with its pluses and minuses. If I am out swimming, biking and running for eight hours straight it is not going to hold up unless it is full of unnatural toxins. However, for anyone exerting themselves to that extreme, I can't imagine that your body odor is on the top of your mind. Pretty sure when you are finished you're not going out to dinner or a gala, I'm thinking that when you're done you are crawling into a hot bath and passing out.
We have many athletes who use our product and they love it. Mind you, with natural products you may need to reapply depending on where you live, what you do, your diet, and other factors.
For everyone who is realizing they should be moving towards a more natural alternative then you can't go wrong with this.
Frankly if it were me and I wanted to smell good during my Ironman, I would just use some toxic junk for the day and go back to using my safe natural deodorant the rest of the time.
FLO: How and where do I get your deodorant?
Joshua: Over 94% of our customers are online and simply order it from our site - www.TheBestDeodorantInTheWorld.com - while others pick it up from a local store. Ordering online can save you a ton especially if you order multiple months. Also, we offer a no questions asked money-back guarantee for all our products, so there is no risk. When you head over there, you can use this promo code, "flo10," which will save you upwards of 60% off your order (depending on what you order).
FLO: I’ve never used a deodorant like this before. Can you offer some advice on how to apply it and how much to use?
Joshua: Think of it like a body butter. Just put a little on your fingers and rub it in to your pits. Any excess just rub into your hands, behind your knees, etc. It is great for your skin so rub it anywhere you want. We've had a few people ask for an applicator stick but we found it doesn't do a good job rubbing it in and therefore it doesn't work well.
FLO: Why did you start this company?
Joshua: It was never our intention to start an all natural, organic, toxin-free deodorant company, but when people started trying the deodorant Margaux made for me, we kinda got forced into this role. Every day more and more people asked for it and we couldn't ignore them. Then the local news did a story on us, then the national news, and before we knew it, we were growing like crazy. As of late we were contacted by the Golden Globes, Oscars, and MTV Music awards to be featured in a private gift bag for all the nominees and winners.
So the short answer is, we started it because I got sick and grew it because we fell in love with the mission and people.
FLO: How has business been to date?
Joshua: We look at everything we do as a journey. Every day poses new challenges and successes.There were times early on that we almost went bankrupt a couple of times due to a couple technical errors where we lost a few thousand customers' billing info overnight. But that is all part of building a legacy and following a dream.
Because we want to provide nothing but the best in terms of product and service, we know that things will progressively get better every quarter. Mind you, there are always ups and downs and so long as the ups outweigh the downs, you will always win.
I believe that we do have an amazing product and I don't say that easily. I say that because of how much we've invested into it being the best. Our belief is so strong that we're the only company to offer a 90 day no questions guarantee. Even if the jar is empty and you're short $6 one month, we will still refund you with no questions or hassles.
FLO: What are the future plans for “The Best Deodorant in the World” as a company?
Joshua: The future is always bright and we always keep our eyes open for new opportunity. We have two new products being released in the next few months that have been in the formulation lab for a while. One is a body butter which we just released and have made 1,000 units available.
I hope you enjoyed the interview with Joshua. Please let us know if you have any questions or comments. Be sure to check them out at www.TheBestDeodorantInTheWorld.com, and don't forget to use your "flo10" discount code.
October 20, 2014