August 10, 2012
FLO Cycling - How to Build a Road Bike Step 12, Connecting Your Brake Cables
This is Step 12 of a multi-part series on how to build a road bike. There is a free eBook available that gives you instant access to the following:
- A FREE 43 page Full Color eBook - Available in PDF and iBook Format (iPhone/iPad)
- 15 FREE HD Step by Step Videos
- 110 FREE Full Color Pictures
NOTE* All Park Tool pictures are courtesy of Park Tool. Thank you Park Tool!
To download the free eBook and videos, please visit www.flocycling.com/buildabike.php and enter your email address.
To see Step 1, Installing your Bottom Bracket, click here.
To see Step 2, Installing your Crankset and Pedals, click here.
To see Step 3, Installing your Fork, Stem, and Handlebar, click here.
To see Step 4, Hanging your Derailleurs, click here.
To see Step 5, Installing your Saddle, click here.
To see Step 6, Installing your Shifters, click here.
To see Step 7, Installing your Cassette and Wheels, click here.
To see Step 8, Mounting your Brakes, click here.
To see Step 9, Aligning your Rear Derailleur, click here.
To see Step 10, Cutting and Installing your Chain, click here.
To see Step 11, Installing Cables and Housing, click here.
Step 12 – Connecting Your Brake Cables
What You Need
- Torque Wrench (TW-1 or TW-5)
- Socket and Bit Set (SBS-1)
- Hex Set (HXS-1.2)
- Cutters (SP-7)
- Pliers (NP-6)
- Cable Tips/End Caps
Before You Get Started
- Make sure your brake and shift cables are free of any cuts or frays before installing.
1. Starting with the front brake, feed the brake cable through the barrel adjuster of the front brake. Note: Be sure to screw the barrel adjustor all of the way in and then back it off one full turn before tightening your brake cable. Make sure the end cap (ferrule) on the end of your housing properly seats in the barrel adjuster.
5. You can repeat all of the above steps to connect the rear brake cable.
6. You now have properly connected brakes.
This completes connecting your brake cables.
We hope you enjoyed this how-to article. For more great content, please register for our free monthly newsletter at the top of the column on the right. We send links to all the articles we post during the month.
Jon and Chris