June 29, 2012
FLO Cycling - How to Build a Road Bike Step 8, Mounting Your Brakes
This is Step 8 of a multi-part series on how to build a road bike. There is a free eBook available that gives you instant access to the following:
- A FREE 43 page Full Color eBook - Available in PDF and iBook Format (iPhone/iPad)
- 15 FREE HD Step by Step Videos
- 110 FREE Full Color Pictures
NOTE* All Park Tool pictures are courtesy of Park Tool. Thank you Park Tool!
To download the free eBook and videos, please visit www.flocycling.com/buildabike.php and enter your email address.
To see Step 1, Installing your Bottom Bracket, click here.
To see Step 2, Installing your Crankset and Pedals, click here.
To see Step 3, Installing your Fork, Stem, and Handlebar, click here.
To see Step 4, Hanging your Derailleurs, click here.
To see Step 5, Installing your Saddle, click here.
To see Step 6, Installing your Shifters, click here.
To see Step 7, Installing your Cassette and Wheels, click here.
Step 8 – Mounting Your Brakes
What You Need
- Torque Wrench (TW-1 or TW-5)
- Socket and Bit Set (SBS-1)
- Hex Set (HXS-1.2)
- Front and Rear Brakes
Before You Get Started
- If you are using wheels with carbon brake tracks, it is highly recommended that you use carbon compatible brake pads. Check with the manufacturer of your wheels for their recommendation.
- There is an accompanying video available here.
1. Place any spacers on the brake bolt before placing the brake on the frameset (see Figure 1).
4. You can repeat this process on the front brake.
5. You now have properly mounted brakes.
This completes the mounting of your brakes.
Jon and Chris