June 19, 2012
FLO Cycling - How to Build a Road Bike Step 7, Installing your Cassette and Wheels
This is Step 7 of a multi-part series on how to build a road bike. There is a free eBook available that gives you instant access to the following:
- A FREE 43 page Full Color eBook - Available in PDF and iBook Format (iPhone/iPad)
- 15 FREE HD Step by Step Videos
- 110 FREE Full Color Pictures
To download the free eBook and videos please visit www.flocycling.com/buildabike.php and enter your email address.
To see Step 6, Installing your Shifters click here.
Step 7 – Cassette and Wheels
What you Need
- Torque Wrench (TW-2 or TW-6)
- Socket and Bit Set (SBS-1)
- Cassette Lockring Tool (FR-5)
- Alternate* Adjustable Wrench (PAW-12)
- Quick Release Skewers
Before you Get Started
- Be sure your cassette is compatible with your rear derailleur. For example, make sure if you have a 10 speed derailleur that you are using a 10 speed cassette.
- Install your tires before installing your wheels. You can learn how to install your tires here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5cm8T1KusU)
1. Your cassette will have a specific keyed pattern that will mate with the hub body on your wheel. Be sure to line the keyed fitting of the hub body up with your cassette. For a Shimano/SRAM style cassette, I typically look for the thinnest raised ridge and use that as a reference point when installing the cassette.
2. Start by placing the largest gear(s) on first (see Figure 1). Often times the three largest gears are connected together.
8. You now have a properly installed cassette and wheelset.
This completes the installation of your cassette and wheels.
We hope you enjoyed this how to article. For more great content, please register for our free monthly newsletter at the top of the column on the right. We send links to all the articles we post during the month.
Jon and Chris