August 14, 2011
FLO Cycling - Race Tips
We are going to take a break from our component series this week to talk about race tips. Last week we asked our facebook followers to give us their tips for race day. I thought it would be fun to list some of those comments and to add some additional ones. I didn't have room for all of the comments here. If you would like to see the original comments, be sure to check out on our facebook page.
I have broken the tips up by catagory:
- General Race Tips
- Cycling and Draft Legal Race Tips
- Funniest Race Tip
- Best Race Tip
If you have any additional tips please feel free to leave them in the comments section.
General Race Tips
1. Make sure you are physically prepared.
2. Prepare your equipment. For example, ensure your bike is mechanically sound and pack your transition bag and nutrition the night before. Ensuring these things are well prepared reduces the risk of a problem on race day.
3. Race your own race. Trying to keep the pace of faster athletes could put you in a bad spot quickly.
4. Preview the course. Knowing about that steep hill or pot hole the day before the race allows you to be ready for it during the race.
5. Have a back up plan. If "Plan A" doesn't work out, that doesn't mean you have to quit. Think about how you can overcome adversity and get yourself back in the game using "Plan B".
6. If your race is long enough to require nutrition, practice using it so you can stick to a system that works on race day.
7. Don't hold back for later. You never know what is going to happen down the road so get ahead while you can.
8. Trust your fitness and be confident in your abilities. You've trained long and hard to get to the starting line and you are the best athlete you can be at the current time. Leave your doubts at home.
9. Don't over think the race. Keep it simple.
10. Never try anything new on race day. If you haven't successfully ate it, drank it, held that many watts etc during training, race day isn't the day to find out it doesn't work.
11. Have Fun!
Cycling and Draft Legal Race Tips
1. Let others work for you when you can.
2. Learn who the fast guys are and stay near them. Go when they go. *This could also apply to "non-drafting" racing assuming you stay out of the draft zone on the bike.
3. Try to break when others are at their limit.
Funniest Race Tip
1. Never trust a fart in an Ironman. LOL
Best Race Tip
1. Use FLO Cycling wheels. Haha ;) We are just a little biased.
We hope these tips help you get to the finish line a litte faster at your next race. For more great content, please register for our free monthly newsletter at the top of the column on the right. We send links to all the articles we post during the month. Comments and questions are welcome as always.
Chris and Jon